Sprain ankle: the right treatment at home
When you sprain ankle treatment at home is acceptable if the degree of stretching is small. It must be remembered that the term "strain" describes a pattern of damage is quite inaccurate.
The main characterizing moments
In the event of excessive loads or exceeding the possible range of motion of elastic and collagen fibers that make up the ligaments of the ankle joint are stretched so much that their number is disconnected. The degree of injury to the limbs is determined by the number of such damaged fibers in the joint. There are three degrees of complexity of the damage:
- Bale maintains its integrity. Damaged individual fibers. The joint remains healthy.
- The wave of serious, but not yet a complete rupture of the collagen fibers of the ankle. Leg not functioning properly, it swells. There is a strong pain.
- The ligament is torn completely.
Sometimes, in the case of serious injury, there was a gap of even a few ligaments. This severe damage is often accompanied by fractures. The unusually strong pain, swelling, and hematoma are clearly expressed. People can not move independently. Inside the joint accumulate blood clots.
Unfortunately, the trauma in this region of the limb - a very common phenomenon. The frequency of damage, even in domestic conditions is quite high. This is due to the severe loads that must sustain this not too big joint. It accounts for the weight of the entire body. In addition, this part of the leg has many different movements that and should provide ligaments. There are circumstances that increase the probability of what may occur sprain or dislocation of the joint.
Risk factors in this case are:
- The excessive weight of the person.
- The need to lift and carry heavy loads.
- Uncomfortable shoes.
- Some of the features of a stop (e.g., flat feet).
- Congenital or acquired instability of the joint.
- Some types of professional activity or a certain lifestyle (tourism, a passion for the sport).
Extremely dangerous is the habit of wearing high heels.
The trauma infectious or inflammatory processes in the ankle are also good reasons to be extremely careful to avoidproblems.
In order to understand what measures should be taken to cure sprains, you must first properly diagnose: to determine the degree of severity of the injury, to determine whether there were any related injuries. Mentioned that severe stress on the joint can cause not only injured ligaments but also the Shin bone. In addition, the sudden changes of the position of the foot may occur dislocated. Diagnosis of injury should consist of inspection of the limb, determine the symptoms and examination with x-rays and MRI.
The most common symptoms of a sprain are:
- Pain at the site of injury, especially in the outer region.
- The appearance of swelling, "swelling" of the ankle.
- "Bruises and red areas in this region due to hemorrhage in the area of soft tissue.
- Increased temperature at the injury site.
- Problems that arise during walking or other movement types
- Uncontrolled mobility in the region of the foot (third degree of injury severity).
If the pain and visible damage to the ankle are large enough, there is a need for referral to a health facility for examination.
First aid for sprain of ankle joints
Light and medium severity of injury suggests the possibility to treat sprained ankle at home. Healing and speed recovery in case of other equal conditions depends on the timeliness and quality of medical patient first aid.
Immediately after occurred the traumatic effect, it is necessary to remove victim's shoes and the one piece of clothing that can prevent fixation of the foot. Then try to provide the possibility of complete immobility at the ankle and attach to the affected area the ice. A serious degree of stretching involves the imposition of gypsum, but often the opportunity to do so does not appear immediately. It is therefore necessary to use improvised means, for example, a plate of the desired size. It privinchivayut to the leg (tibia) thus, to lock the knee and the ankle. If visible signs of fracture and no pain is not too strong, then perhaps the imposition of a pressure bandage. You only need to control the force of compression and to prevent the blueing of the tissues of the foot.
Ice, which is applied to the place of stretching, reduces and sometimes prevents the development of edema.
If it is not possible to ensure the effects of ice, you can attach a cloth dampened in coldwater.
Cold compresses are needed in the first days after injury. Applying ice, it is necessary to protect the patient's skin from frostbite. Therefore, it is applied to the leg through the fabric strip.
But the pain is removed with the help of analgesics. Then the patient was taken to a medical facility for definitive diagnosis.
Treatment of injury in the home
Consult a doctor, you can continue treatment for foot injuries at home. A doctor can prescribe to receive drugs to relieve the pain and stop the inflammatory process.
After the first day of cold exposure, you can start to use hot compresses and ointments.
As thermal effects folk medicine recommends compresses of warm milk. It is possible, if the skin no wounds or abrasions.
Also for the speedy swelling and mitigate the pain treatment successfully used folk remedies.
Traditional medicines used for the treatment of sprains:
- A mixture of sponge bodyagi (sold in pharmacies) get soaked in water until the consistency of clay or slurry and gently rubbed into the damaged area. It promotes wound healing, to reduce swelling and bruises."
- Pulp prepared from finely ground raw onion, mix with salt. A compress of this "aromatic" means reduces puffiness and has anti-inflammatory effects. To make the bow through the fabric, covering it with gauze on top.
- Grated raw potato as a compress applied to the injured joint. This curative procedure can be repeated several times during the day.
- The pulp of aloe leaves to put on the injured area and bandage it. After the poultice will heat up to change the bandage.
- The infusion of tansy is used in the form of lotions and compresses.
- Alcoholic tincture of mountain Arnica is used as the rubbing is only some time after the injury.
- The root of elecampane to grind, brew with boiling water for 20 minutes. This tool is used for lotions and compresses.
After the patient's condition improved, sleep swelling and pain, it is necessary to begin procedures of physical therapy to undergo massage sessions of physiotherapy. If the patient after injury requires serious rehabilitation, recovery can continue at the resorts using mud or paraffin treatment. Proceed to the sports training and other methods of enhanced physicaleffects on the joints only after the complete recovery. It is advisable to obtain additional medical advice.