How to treat a fracture of the greater tubercle of the humerus
What is a fracture of the greater tubercle of the humerus and how to treat the corruption - these issues concern patients. The humerus is a long bone that is part of the upper limb. From the anatomical point of view, there are: the diaphysis, which represents the body and the epiphyses (the two ends of the joint).
Fracture of the greater tubercle of the humerus is approximately 7% of all other cases of such damage. Most often the injury is the result of the fall or blow. From a medical point of view, these injuries are fractures of the upper limb.
As a rule, when corruption occurs, the shoulder joint deformity and limited mobility, as well as the observed manifestation of pain and heavy swelling. In such cases the necessary first aid, which is the correct fixing of damaged hands, and taking analgesic drugs.
If the patient revealed a fracture of tubercle of the humerus, it should be immediately placed in the hospital.
What structure is the humerus
Let's look at the anatomy of the humerus. In the upper part it is represented by a round head, forming the glenoid surface of the scapula which is the shoulder joint. Directly under the head is the neck bone of the shoulder. Slightly below the anatomical neck are situated small and large tubercles. These are attached muscle tissue. Below the tubercle the bone narrows, this place is called the surgical neck.
Types of fractures of the shoulder bones and shoulder area
There are several types, depending on where they occurred.
When determining the damage of the proximal, intra-articular and extra-articular separated by type of injury;
in addition, the doctors isolated injury in the upper, middle and lower third of the diaphysis;
during the x-ray can be detected the fracture is in the distal.
In addition, there are the following types: supracondylar and damage to the condyles. This files most often diagnosed injury in the upper end of the arm, where is the surgical neck, and damaging the middle part. Depending on the type, different: open and closed. Closed healing a lot easier and less likely to occur with complications.
How is the fracture located in the proximal
Intraarticular injuries of the head joint or anatomical neck of the bone are diagnosed most often in the elderly. This type is characterized by displacement of the bone in the head thatleads to the development of damage to the impacted type. Often this occurs with strong impact: destroyed the head, which is located in the articular surface.
The typical proximal symptoms of damage are:
- The shoulder joint becomes larger in size, which is associated with the development of edema and hemarthrosis in the joint cavity.
- If there is a shift of part of the fragments of the head and a fracture, is determined by the impossibility of movement.
- When I try to perform passive movements, an increase in the axle load, which leads to the development of acute pain. On palpation, the patient complains of severe pain.
Depending on the type of injury, determine:
- A traumatic fracture, in which the fragmentation of a fragment. The offset is absent.
- There is often detachable. Thus there is a slight gap fragmentary part of the greater tubercle. During the work muscle tissue up or down moves a fragment of bone. As a rule, these manifestations are determined when the dislocation of the shoulder.
What is the fracture of the surgical neck of the shoulder
If the injury is of an indirect nature, as a rule, there is damage to the surgical neck. Most often, this injury may be the result of a fall on the hand. In that case, if the hand position is given, then the doctor defines abduction fracture of the shoulder. If, at the time of injury to the hand is the middle position, it develops damage in which the introduction of the distal fragment in the proximal type.
This type is characterized by such signs:
- When probing the place of injury is determined by the appearance of sharp pain that is worse when trying to make circular movements.
- During the movement shifted a large tubercle and head.
- If damaged bones of the shoulder offset changes the axis of the injured limb, develops swelling and bleeding into the joint area. The characteristic symptom of injury of this type is a complete violation of motility, passive movement develops acute pain.
- There is abnormal mobility and the crepitation of bone fragments.
- Abduction of damage are manifested by the development of protuberance of bone that occurs on the front of the shoulder surface. With the development of abduction damage occurs the retraction of the bone.
- Shoulder seems shorter.
Often, when the injury of the neck bones of the shoulder and develop injuryblood vessels and nerve endings that occur at the time of injury or when trying incorrect reposition of dislocation.
How does an open fracture of the shoulder joint? This produces wounds on the surface of the shoulder, accompanied by severe bleeding. To stop it is with a harness, which is applied to the upper third of the shoulder. Then apply a sterile bandage to stabilize the hand in the middle position. Then the victim hospitalitynet.
How to diagnose and treat a shoulder fracture
Treatment it is impossible to build correctly without an x-ray. The main method of treatment is reduction and the imposition of a plaster bandage. These manipulations are made by means of removable splints.
Is assigned magnetotherapy and UHF on the third day of treatment. If the healing of damaged joint normally, the doctor recommends to start gymnastics on day 10 in the region of the wrist and the elbow. A month later the cast off and put a triangular bandage.
Fracture of surgical neck requires treatment in hospital. As rehabilitation measures prescribed massage and physical therapy, and mechanotherapy. To go to work after such injuries is possible only in two months. If this was damage with an offset, then the treatment is 2.5 months.